Voyage is a charity that empowers and enables young black people through a range of educational and leadership courses, specialist and peer mentoring, developmental and skills building opportunities and work experience. It is both youth and BAME led and has a strong and growing track record of effective and recognised impact.
We are looking for new tutors for our Young Leaders for Sustainable Cities course that will begin in March and be delivered to year 9s and 10s in London, as well as for our Young Leaders for Safer Cities course and further programmes. We are looking for individuals from diverse communities with passion for supporting young black people and who have what it takes to engage and educate them. We place incredible value on those who can use their unique lived experience to connect with our young people and effect change in them. We recognise and value experience over qualifications and aim to nurture our pool of tutors as a thriving VOYAGE Youth Tutor Network and regular training and development opportunities.
The course will run for 12 weeks each year across 10 Saturdays and will involve both team and solo teaching. In terms of development and progression, tutors will take part in training and shadowing other tutors at the beginning of the course and will go on to either teach in teams or solo once they complete training in the later part of the course. Once tutors have completed their training and the first round of teaching, we will continue to develop and support them with training and engagement opportunities as the young people rise as our graduates.
- All our engagement with young people occurs over the weekends, evenings, or school holiday periods.
- We aim to shortlist our first wave of candidates by Friday 8th October after the Friday 1st application deadline
- Candidates will need to be available for a date during out Live week in October half term, a weeklong programme of activities and workshops for young people, to engage and meet our young people
- All candidates that make the final cohort will be required to have an Enhanced DBS and those who are successful through our onboarding and training process will have their pay evaluated using the JNC scale (https://www.nya.org.uk/youth-work/jnc/).
Please send your CV, clearly state your hours and days of availability and provide 500 words max on ‘Why you should be a VOYAGE Youth tutor’ to email@example.com
Be sure to include:
- Any relevant experience with young people (including any safeguarding training)
- Any qualifications or experience relating to the environment
- Your unique lived experience that will help you connect to and empower young people
|Time frame||Application stages|
|Friday 1st October||Application deadline|
|Friday 8th October||Notifying shortlisted candidates|
|Wednesday 13th – Friday 15thOctober||Interview period|
|Monday 18th October||Notifying shortlisted candidates|
|Monday 25th – Friday 29th October||Live week|
|Tuesday 2nd November||Notifying shortlisted candidates|
|Monday 8th November||Appointment|